November 22, 2014, 01:22:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Symptoms of a bad coil???  (Read 6212 times)
Evil95GT

« on: October 31, 2004, 02:46:56 PM »

Ok, so we got the 95 running yesterday. Today, we started it again. This time, it was REALLY hard to start. So, Jerry checks to see if the coil is getting spark...........it's not. He proceeds to beat the living crap out of it with a screwdriver. Voila! The car starts, and runs smooth as silk. The problem is, we're scared to take the car out for a test drive. I have expired plates as of yesterday, and that's ALL I need is for the coil to crap out, and a cop to stop saying "What seems to be the problem, Miss? Here, hold still while I throw this book at you".  Roll Eyes
Blue87GT

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 03:27:20 PM »

Exaclty what you described, along with more misses as it gets warm and gains internal resistance.  Swap one from one of your other stangs to be safe.
Brian 00GT
Unsafe at any speed
Badass Supporter
Badass Member
mmm....Corona

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 06:56:19 PM »

I have expired plates as of yesterday, and that's ALL I need is for the coil to crap out, and a cop to stop saying "What seems to be the problem, Miss? Here, hold still while I throw this book at you". Roll Eyes

I am sorry, but I found that hilarious!  LOL LOL

BTW - I do agree with Nick.

Brian
Also known as 2000 Fobra R

SOLD - 2000 Mustang GT - Full Suspension, Bolt-ons, and T-Trim @ a little psi

Quote from: Gravel
If you have carried on a conversation with someone for 10 post and have only said five words, you are probably a post whore.
W.O.T. Stang
5.0 Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 08:29:09 PM »

I have expired plates as of yesterday, and that's ALL I need is for the coil to crap out, and a cop to stop saying "What seems to be the problem, Miss? Here, hold still while I throw this book at you". Roll Eyes

I am sorry, but I found that hilarious! LOL LOL

BTW - I do agree with Nick.

Heh, you just don't know her luck... that car can sit for 3 years, and touch the road for about 15 seconds, and there will be a cop coming down the road at that very moment!
BSL
Dam right I'm a
Badass Supporter
Badass Member

Southern Ontario

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 09:23:33 PM »

That happens to me about once a year, usually it quits while driving.
Its always the ignition module for me tho, rarely had to change a coil on a mustang.

I keep a spare module, with that dam tool you need, in the glove box Grin

Gareth
Evil95GT

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 09:26:45 PM »

LMAO @ you guys.  LOL It's one of those things that's funny, but it's not, but it is. Wink I swear, I think I'm marked or something..........I get pulled over for STUPID crap all the time, and I just *know* they'd fry me on this one. Last time I tried to pull some crap like this, I was facing $850 in fines and the car got impounded. The reason for the traffic stop? No front plate.  Roll Eyes Yep, I was really a threat to myself and others on the road with that one.  B*tch Slap

I'm gonna go grab my spare coil from my mother-in-laws house tomorrow. I hope that's all it is.

*edit*
The ignition module? Hell...........are these the ONLY two things it could be??  Undecided
Freakingstang
is the one with The Magic Ballz
Badass Supporter
Badass Member
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 09:45:11 PM »

The reason for the traffic stop? No front plate.  Roll Eyes Yep, I was really a threat to myself and others on the road with that one.  B*tch Slap

Been There Done that.  Got a gun pulled on me cause I got out of the car when the State HW Patrol was being a ****bag!  He thought the car was stolen b/c the registration said it was white and I had just painted it silver.  Then he proceeded to think the car was stolen b/c I had a Cobra wing and tails in it and they didn't belong there!

Anyway, AZ can check the ignition module, and they can check the resistance (ohms) of the coil, but that doesn't always tell you it is good.  IMO I would get the TFI checked and if that is good, call me up and get a coil!

Good Luck
Steve

Steve, one of many...
Badass 1986 GT VERT, 1989 Notch, 1966 Coupe

Evil95GT

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 09:59:39 PM »

Thanks, Steve! You and Jenn seriously gotta come back out soon. The Cobra wing thing cracked me up. I was accused of driving a stolen vehicle because it didn't have airbags in it.  Roll Eyes At least the trooper knew his s***. Smiley

I'm definitely gonna remove both offending parts and see which one is the culprit. Then, I'm gonna run them over with another car.
W.O.T. Stang
5.0 Guru

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 02:43:42 AM »

Just so you know.. tfi testing isnt always foolproof... mine was faulty yet it tested ok.  I changed it and all my problems went away.

I still bet money on the coil from what you describe, but i'm sure we will all find out soon.
BSL
Dam right I'm a
Badass Supporter
Badass Member

Southern Ontario

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 08:43:27 AM »

FWIW- when the TFI (module) goes for a s***, the coil will not show spark.

Be nice to the police, attitude gets ya nowhere Smiley

Gareth
Evil95GT

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 01:04:01 PM »

We're about to set out to find the problem. As for the police, that's the kicker! I *am* nice to them (even using the word Sir, as needed, LOL). Sure doesn't help my situation though. The officer in question, I think the dude has some sort of personal vendetta cuz I gave his younger sister a hard time in school.

Be back soon with a definitive answer. Smiley
Aussie XAXB

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 01:10:15 PM »

In my experience trying to fix anything on a car I have found that there are at least 5 things that can possibly be causing the problem.......and you have to figure out which thing it is....as well as know what those 5 things are to check them out. So if you can only think of 3 things it is likely that none of them will be the problem. You have to think of 2 more.  Wink

Steve
BSL
Dam right I'm a
Badass Supporter
Badass Member

Southern Ontario

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:33:17 AM »

any results yet?
The suspense!

Gareth
Evil95GT

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 07:55:04 PM »

I swapped in a spare coil..........now it fires up and runs effortlessly. Problem now is the fan won't kick on (see 94-95 forums). Sad
BSL
Dam right I'm a
Badass Supporter
Badass Member

Southern Ontario

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 08:33:09 AM »

O-boy. Sounds like CCRM problems.

Gareth
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: